Recruitment Training | Public
The Impact of Diversity and Inclusion in Recruitment
Supporting organisations with their Diversity and Inclusion strategy, this workshop gives HR and Recruitment leaders confidence to recruit and have the ability to challenge established ways of working which may have a negative impact on Diversity and Inclusion. They will learn the latest selection methods along with a deep dive review of interview techniques – looking at how to structure an interview and question candidates, in particular assessing against values and behaviour more importantly than number of years’ industry experience.
- Understand a company’s diversity strategy and the importance of their roles in delivering this when recruiting.
- Considerations with commitment to a positive action approach e.g. committing to a diverse candidate shortlist in teams where there is less diversity.
- Ability to identify where discrimination could occur during recruitment.
- Understand unconscious bias and its impact during the hiring process.
- Reviewing your selection processes and identifying where discrimination may occur.
- Selection Practice – what are the latest selection methods used?
- The Impact of interview preparation on D&I.
- Creating interview questions for different job roles.
- Using different questioning techniques to identify values and behaviours.
- Having the confidence to challenge and lead decision making during interviews.
What’s covered in more detail:
Changing Demographics and Impact on Resourcing
- Changes taking place in the world of work due to economy, technology and communication.
- Impacts on changes in demographics on the candidate experience and selection of candidates.
Legislation, Unconscious Bias and Identifying where Discrimination can occur
- Examination of protected characteristics, covering the impact on different stages of recruitment.
- Understand different types of bias that can occur at every stage – job design, attraction, job adverts, screening, selection interviews, and how to mitigate against them.
- What are the barriers to diverse hiring practices?
Selection Tools Insight
- Insight into the latest selection tools used in todays market from SJT’s, Psychometrics, Gamification, Interviewing and Simulations
- Maintaining objectivity in selection tools
- Review of automation to remove bias
- How to monitor and assess bias – key MI to review
- Practical exercise to review options for change
Practical review of selection practice
- Are the methods fit for purpose, proportionate, reliable and accessible? Do they minimise bias?
- How to challenge practices or senior leaders who are less committed to diverse hiring practices and how to partner with them to move forward.
- Are the best candidates selected from the process?
- Are those involved in shortlisting and selecting trained in effective interviewing skills and overcoming unconscious bias?
- Is there a consistency applied to all candidates and is there a representative selection panel?
Effective Interview Techniques – supporting our hiring managers
- The importance of having an interview structure, with a greeting, acquiring and supplying information and how to close the meeting.
- Effective questioning techniques: open, closed, example based and probing, and how they can be used to get information from a candidate.
- Common pitfalls from asking questions, such as using leading questions, making quick first impressions, stereotyping candidates and the horns and halo effects.
- Recording evidence & evaluating the evidence objectively to support the hiring decision.
- Requirements of data protection legislation.
- Scoring behaviour during an interview on the assessment criteria.
D&I Interview Considerations
- A group exercise to help HR and interviewers tackle common challenges arising during the hiring process which have potential impacts upon diversity and inclusion.
We truly value our partnership with Omni and we look forward to working with them to break new ground in future.
Strategic Resources Partnerships