A changing operating climate arising from the pandemic coupled with today’s heightened political landscape has shone a light on the importance of organisational development (OD). In turn, it has highlighted expansive skills shortages in this area.
Organisations seek interim HR leaders with experience identifying and solving problems impacting engagement, productivity, and performance. Additionally, these professionals are called upon to lead initiatives that benefit individual growth, such as career development, leadership development and performance improvement.
Is it for you?
A career as an interim HR leader is fast-paced, challenging and hugely rewarding. As well as getting the chance to work on a variety of exciting projects, you will enjoy greater flexibility and higher rates of pay than your permanent counterparts.
It has its downsides too, and for those coming out of corporate life, it can feel daunting setting up your own company and gaining your own assignments. Business development and the lack of certainty with finding assignments are key reasons why interims return to full-time roles. But it doesn’t have to be that way.
In exchange for high reward, organisations look for high levels of experience and an impressive track record for generating results and facilitating operational change and development. Essential skills and attributes they look for include:
- Results-driven. You will likely be brought in to help the organisation achieve a specific goal, and you will be measured on whether this is delivered. Additionally, interims are measured on the change they impact and leave behind, so your reputation depends on a succession of good, enduring results.
- Consultative. Your experience working with other organisations is invaluable, and companies will want to tap into your knowledge and expect you to share insights.
- Flexible. You will work with different teams and be expected to align with a company’s culture and values during your time there.
- Independent. Businesses pay a premium to engage an interim professional and want you to hit the ground running.
- Confident. Every project requires you to remain impartial and objective, regardless of the task you have been brought in to do. Additionally, you will need to be an excellent communicator who is comfortable sharing regular updates on project progress with key stakeholders.
Ready to take the next step?
Omni Search has interim HR opportunities across a wide range of industry sectors and specialisms. If you are a senior HR professional or specialise in change and transformation, we can support you and connect you to your next exciting and rewarding assignment.
Click here to find out more about Omni Search and what we can do for you, or contact Ben Fitzgerald on 0161 929 2324 or email email@example.com.